Forum Runner Support

Forum Runner Support (http://www.forumrunner.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Runner Chat (http://www.forumrunner.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reliability of Push Notifications? (http://www.forumrunner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97)

Morac 06-11-2010 12:36 AM

Is it just me or are push notifications not all that reliable? I've received them and they do seem to be obeying the "sleep" time period I set up, but I don't always receive them when I should. I haven't received any within the past 24 hours.

Edit: just changed the time frame to 24 hours and got a push notification. Maybe that had something to do with it. I'm going to keep an eye on it though.

ClemsonJeeper 06-11-2010 09:10 AM

Let me know what you find, I did test the time based push messages, but there definitely could be a bug in there.

What time zone do you have it set for and what hours?

Morac 06-11-2010 11:23 AM

I had set it to 9 am to 10 pm in the NY time zone. I've changed it to 8 am to 11:30 pm.

It's also possible the push notices were clobbered by other push notices which is a limitation of Apple's push system.

Morac 06-11-2010 12:00 PM

I think what's happening is that if an update occurs during the "quiet" period, then no future updates will occur until I manually read the thread. So if a thread updates at 6 AM and again at 10 AM, no push will be sent for the 10 AM update unless I manually read the thread after 6 AM.

I'm not 100% sure this is what's happening, but it does match up to what I'm seeing.

ClemsonJeeper 06-11-2010 05:47 PM

Yep, that is exactly what happens. I'll have to think of a way around it, but I don't think that is likely to happen with the current way the push infrastructure is implemented. Once the forum sends a subscription notification to us, it will not send another one until you read that thread through Forum Runner.

This is so you don't get spammed every time someone sends a post to a subscribed thread.

I'll have to do some thinking on this one.

Morac 06-11-2010 08:53 PM

Well one solution would be to quietly make a note of the subscription update notifications made during the "quiet" period and then send a push notification once that time is over.

The problem with this is that it would effectively require one cron job for each push user not using the 24/7 notification setting. While it would work for a small number of users, I don't know how well it would scale as you add more users.

Morac 06-12-2010 01:09 PM

I've switched to 24 hour notification this morning, but am not getting notifications today.

ClemsonJeeper 06-13-2010 01:51 PM

Have you viewed the subscribed threads to reset the "sent" notification?

You need to view the thread through Forum Runner to reset this.

Morac 06-13-2010 01:54 PM

They weren't working in Forum Runner or the AVSForum app the other day.

I did get a push notification jut now for your post in this thread.

ClemsonJeeper 06-13-2010 02:38 PM

Hmm. I'll do some testing and make sure its still working OK and no bugs were introduced.