Go Back   Forum Runner Support > Forum Runner > Feature Requests

(#1) Old
Spinball

Default Improved advertising options in the mobile app - 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

I would like to request better advertising options.
Our branded app has had almost 1.5 million downloads on iOS alone and we are having millions of page impressions a month.
It's vital that we capitalise on this traffic by having better options for adverts.

We need the request to our ad server to include an indication of where the advert is being shown. Targetted ads have a much higher value.
We needs ads at the top and bottom of pages.
For thread list pages we need the forumid passed to our ad server.
For threads, we need both the forumid and the threadid passed.
Also for iPads, we need larger adverts, so we need to know whether the device is an iPhone or iPad. (I guess the ipad adverts would have a width limited to the iPad in portrait).

Can this be done and if possible done quickly please? This is very important for forums running as a business and it would add significant value to the use of Forumrunner with our forums.

Thanks

(#2) Old
amforum

Default 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Agreed 100x!!!!!!

(#3) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinball View Post
I would like to request better advertising options.
Our branded app has had almost 1.5 million downloads on iOS alone and we are having millions of page impressions a month.
It's vital that we capitalise on this traffic by having better options for adverts.

We need the request to our ad server to include an indication of where the advert is being shown. Targetted ads have a much higher value.
We needs ads at the top and bottom of pages.
For thread list pages we need the forumid passed to our ad server.
For threads, we need both the forumid and the threadid passed.
Also for iPads, we need larger adverts, so we need to know whether the device is an iPhone or iPad. (I guess the ipad adverts would have a width limited to the iPad in portrait).

Can this be done and if possible done quickly please? This is very important for forums running as a business and it would add significant value to the use of Forumrunner with our forums.

Thanks
What AdServer are you using right now? AdMob?

If so, how would you like this information passed into it?

I do agree that the advertising system could use a refresher - however it is not a "quick" change since it involves modifying control panels for 6 different types of forums as well as supporting both iOS and Android.

If the forumid/threadid can get you most of the way where you want to be, that should be relatively trivial to implement assuming AdMob SDK has a way to pass in parameters.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

http://www.forumrunner.net

(#4) Old
Spinball

Default 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
What AdServer are you using right now? AdMob?

If so, how would you like this information passed into it?

I do agree that the advertising system could use a refresher - however it is not a "quick" change since it involves modifying control panels for 6 different types of forums as well as supporting both iOS and Android.

If the forumid/threadid can get you most of the way where you want to be, that should be relatively trivial to implement assuming AdMob SDK has a way to pass in parameters.
Thanks for replying.
We're using Google Ad Exchange, which is a big-site version of Ad Sense.
The code put into our Forumrunner CP looks like this:
Code:
<script type='text/javascript'>
var googletag = googletag || {};
googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || [];
(function() {
var gads = document.createElement('script');
gads.async = true;
gads.type = 'text/javascript';
var useSSL = 'https:' == document.location.protocol;
gads.src = (useSSL ? 'https:' : 'http:') + 
'//www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js';
var node = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
node.parentNode.insertBefore(gads, node);
})();
</script>

googletag.cmd.push(function() {
googletag.defineSlot('/4746735/App_Banner', [320, 50], 'div-gpt-ad-1331554898742-0').addService(googletag.pubads());
googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest();
googletag.enableServices();
});
</script>

<!-- App_Banner -->
<div id='div-gpt-ad-1331554898742-0' style='width:320px; height:50px;'>
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1331554898742-0'); });
</script>
</div>
If the app displays whatever size banner is given to it, then all we need to do is know the device type, and we can either send it a 350x50 for iphone or larger for ipad.
Given the forumid and threadid, we can improve the ad serving a lot.
I appreciate it's not a trivial change, but I hope you agree how vitally important it is.

(#5) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

I assume you are putting that javascript in the "Google AdSense" javascript part of Forum Runner options?

If so, then you can already get what you want (with a little work).

Basically the way this works is when we are using the "Google AdSense" javascript, the app fetches

http://<yourforum>/forumrunner/ad.php

with the following GET argument:

p => location ad is being loaded in

p can be:

fb: Forum List (bottom)
tt: Thread (top of screen)
tb: Thread (bottom of screen)

Now, to determine if you are on the iPad (vs iPhone vs Android), you can look at the HTTP_USER_AGENT string.

If you look at forumrunner/ad.php you can see where we already check the user agent to make sure they are coming in via the app.

With modifications to ad.php it should be pretty easy to do what you want, I believe.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

(#6) Old
Spinball

Default 08-14-2012, 04:49 AM

That's a great start, thanks. How about adding frf= and frt= GET arguments so we can target the forumid and threadid? (I think adding f= or t= might interfere with vBSEO)

(#7) Old
akmad

Default 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Is the height of the ad location set as a static value somewhere? I edited the ad.php file as noted above and I only see 50px of the 728x90 banner which I've set to display to iPads only.

Also, if ad locations are turned off, is this file still called in any way, shape or form?

(#8) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM

No, unfortunately the height of the ad (in the app) is statically set (in the app). There is no way to increase the size currently.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

(#9) Old
Spinball

Default 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Could we have some information on if/when this will be addressed.
If advertising options are not improved for the app, I will be forced to remove it and go with a mobile style instead.

(#10) Old
amforum

Default 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM

We are already looking at other options as the support and development of this product is basically dead. I am beginning to think its by design as well.