Go Back   Forum Runner Support > Mobile Support > iPhone/iPod Touch

(#1) Old
cadetandrew

Default Not Receiving Push Notifications - 11-12-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm logged into the Forum Runner push notification service with Forum Runner installed on my forum just fine. But I'm not receiving push notifications like I should.

Running the full (paid) version of Forum Runner version 1.5.9
Device is iPhone 3GS with iOS version 5.0.1
Forum is r

Any assistance?

(#2) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Are you receiving push notifications from this forum? If so, then it is likely a configuration/installation issue on your forum.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

http://www.forumrunner.net

(#3) Old
Morac

Default 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM

I've found that visiting a forum in the web browser frequently breaks push somehow. Simply going into the push settings screen in the app gets it working again.

(#4) Old
somersetbob

Default 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM

I've just set up Forum Runner on my phpBB 3.0.9 site and I think I'm also not receiving notifications for new posts made there. But it's only been a few hours since I installed and activated FR, and my site's only had two posts since then, so I think I need to give it more time to see if it's definitely not working.

(I also have issues with Twitter notifications only working intermittently, as do others I believe, so maybe it's an iOS5 glitch.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

(#5) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM

There has to be active traffic to your forum for the forum's background task infrastructure to work (which our push service works off).

No traffic = no way for the forum to let us know there are new messages.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

(#6) Old
somersetbob

Default 01-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the reply - I should've come back sooner to say that push notifications are working ok on my site (once some traffic came back after Christmas!) - the only thing that's a bugbear now is the constantly blue forum icons, but we're learning to live with that (the Current button displays the latest thread replies).

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

(#7) Old
Morac

Default 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM

I haven't received push notifications in a while now. There's a lot of followed threads over at the TiVo Community forums, that get lots of posts. I haven't gotten any notifications for them for at least a week.

Is push broken?

(#8) Old
ClemsonJeeper
Forum Sprinter

Default 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM

Should be working fine - just tested it. We did some server moves yesterday which might have affected it. I bounced the server.

Rob J
Forum Runner Developer

(#9) Old
Morac

Default 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Should be working fine - just tested it. We did some server moves yesterday which might have affected it. I bounced the server.
Still nothing. Not from this forum or TiVo Community forum. I tried signing out and back in of both the push server and the boards last night. Woke up this morning with no push notifications. Opened the app and found 5 followed threads (this one and 4 overt at TCF) had posts.

So it's still not working for me. I'll try sending myself a test message. Maybe A message will work.

(#10) Old
Morac

Default 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Nope not getting pushes for messages either. I sent myself a test message here, at the TiVo Community Forums and at the AVSForum (which has a branded app). I waited 25 minutes and nothing.

When I ran the app I also saw a subscribed thread had updated at the TCF as well, so the board was active. AVSForum is always active so I should have got a push about the message from there.

I don't think it's Apple's fault either as push notifications for other apps are still working.

I'm not sure how long it's been broken, but it's been at least a week, possibly even two.

Edit: I double checked the Forum Runner push web site and push is enabled for me 24 hours with both messages and subscriptions checked.

Last edited by Morac; 02-01-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: additional info